Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Trouble with Clouds

The Trouble with Clouds

a new book by Kevin Cookson

We asked Kevin a few questions about his book and this is what he told us via email.


"The book is 265 pages, and the target audience is ... ... anyone over 12 who struggles with the concept of 'why we should be afraid of global warming' ... but in the end, though, it's just a feel-good fantasy story. I am hoping people of all ages will like it."

"The theme is ... tackling the ever-increasing violence/extreme weather events."

"My background? I have the following letters behind my name: B.Sc., C.Eng., PGCE., MIEE., FIQA. So my upbringing is science and engineering but, since retiring (nearly), if you'd have asked me that question twelve months ago I would have replied: I am a musician first and a songwriter second - now I'm not so sure - I enjoyed writing the book more than I thought I would."


"What was the genesis of the book? Writing the book came about because I had time to spare on a two week holiday and because the noise in the apartment prevented me from writing songs. I wrote what I considered to be the most difficult part of the book first, to see if I thought I could write. I found I could - and what's more - I enjoyed it! I have not looked back since that time - my second book is due out in a couple of months - and my third book will be started in a few months time."


"I am hoping to find readers and tell people about my book using the internet. I posted some tweets on on Twitter .....but Twitter didn't like what I did ......so they banned me for a few days - so I can't do that again! I've been told there is a way via twitter so I'm about to learn how to do it properly. One sector I thought would be interested in my book was the cloud appreciation society members - so where possible I am marketing to them - and other weather related individuals. You see, the book is written in such a way that, even serious weather people, would enjoy it."

[Danny asks: "Even What's Up with That blogger and rightwing climate denialist Anthony Watts in the USA?"

"I live in Darwen - Lancashire - England. I am a a businessman who no longer needs to be tied down fully to my business. So the artist in me gets about three days a week free to do the things I love to do."


"I'm 62 and English."

[Question: Your book contains a serious message for young readers about
climate change and its ramifications. With its intriguing mix of fact
and fantasy, adventure and romance, 'The Trouble With Clouds' is a tale
that will ensure that you never look at clouds the same way again!
CAN YOU explain this MORE,,,just in what way will the book help kids
and their parents and teachers to LOOK at cloouds in a new way after
reading your the book?]

"Ha! you need to read the book.First of all, only true ... verifiable/historic ... global warming facts are presented - amd second, I invent a cloud and wind world that is not altogether far from the real cloud and wind world - yes, I've had to give the clouds characters and extend their longevity (writer's poetic licence) in order to present a coherent story, but not much else is tampered with - and third, I talk about the differences between weather systems - from fluffy white clouds to hurricanes, and everything in-between."


"The subject was chosen when a large proportion of the population was still dithering about whether global warming was real or not. I'd been following the global warming science since 1966 so I had no doubts whatsoever - and still have none.
There is a song that goes with the book. Go to:
www.kevincookson.com/pages/books.html
and press play on the flash player.

Lyrics are:

.....

Last night I saw the sun go down

(Words & Music: (c) 2011 Kevin Cookson)



Last night I saw the Sun go down ... But felt no chill upon the ground

A new Sun would be coming round - come morning time

I'd seen those pictures sent from space ... Showing the haze where the human race

Built its Cities and growing space - when things were fine



But the winter came so warm this year ... The snowcaps blew away

Another day another year ... Amongst these cosmic rays



- - - - - -



Last night I saw the sun go down ... On life we knew above the ground

The change that came was so profound - how could we know

And oxygen is getting low ... It won't be long before it goes

The 'Other Earth' scenario - was a real no-go



And winter came so warm this year ... The snowcaps blew away

Another day another year ... And all will be flambé



- - - - - -



Last Night I Saw The Sun Go Down ... On Mankind’s Bid To Stay Around

The Global Warning battleground - it soon was lost

Saw children ask their parents why ... Saw fathers hang their heads to cry

Saw mothers weep, so horrified - of the holocaust



Still winter came so warm this year ... The snowcaps blew away

No other day, no another year … (silence)

Last night I saw the sun go down...

==========================

Songwriter's Notes: I imagined writing this song over many years - the first verse in 2050; the second in 2075 and the last, well who knows?


On a more cryptic note: the trouble with tipping points is they come upon you without you realising it - let's hope we're not there yet.

Kevin's final words:

"Climate change IS real. The future is debated in the book in terms that anyone can understand."


"My message to the kids is: Make a difference! Don't just watch your parents misbehave - tell them it's YOUR future that's in danger - not theirs."

No comments: